Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rhubarb Scuffins



A quick google search will show that, alas, I am not the first to coin the adorable moniker "scuffin". They are a tasty blend of scone and muffin, and (in my kitchen, anyway) they were born as a result of needing to use up the rhubarb, wanting to do so with scones, but not having another cookie sheet available (I had already made pizza). I was pleased with the results though, so I decided to share.


Rhubarb Scuffins

(keep in mind that I am a terrible one for measurements... I am more of the ilk "a little of this... a little of that... hey presto!" so the following is a bit more of a guess/guideline.)

1/4 cup butter
2 cups flour (whatever blend of white/whole wheat you like)
2tsp baking powder
1/8 cup powdered almonds
(optional)

Use a pastry blender (or your hands) to mix the flour and butter.
It should end up the consistency of bread crumbs.

1tbsp sugar
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp allspice
2tsp ground ginger

1/2 cup milk
(doesn't have to be real... I had oat milk so that's what I used)
1/3 cup water

Once you have mixed all of this together you will have a sticky but solid ball of dough.

2 stalks rhubarb, diced (or whatever fruit you are trying to use up)

Toss it in and do your best to get it folded into the dough.

Small handfulls of dough go into a greased muffin tin (with a drizzle of honey on top, if that suits your fancy) and bake at 350° for about 15 mins, or until a fork comes out clean, and they are lightly browned just at the edges.

This makes one dozen small scuffins.
Or six giant ones, I would guess.

(ps: Sorry for the blurry photos. I could have been
fussy and re-taken them but I was too busy eating scuffins.)

3 comments:

  1. Yum. Yumma yum yum yum... would you mind courier-ing me one? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... : ) Well, if there are any left this evening I will consider it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, all gone! (Okay, I left one for Christine...).
    -Adrien

    ReplyDelete