Thursday, December 20, 2007

100 things (this list didn't take as long as I thought it would...)

1. When I was little, my favorite colour was Purple
2. 2 is my favorite number... I also rather like 9
3. I think I am part snail because I like to move slowly, eat slowly, live slowly and hide away in cozy little nooks (hence Spiral Bound)
4. That said, it is totally annoying when there are slow people blocking the sidewalk
5. I have (so far) attended 5 post-secondary institutions (2 colleges and 3 universities) in 3 provinces
6. Having my hair brushed, washed or played with is pure pleasure
7. It makes me happy to read or watch holiday-themed stories/shows at Christmas, Halloween, mid-summer etc... even if they are really cheesy
8. I try to remember to celebrate (or notice/aknowledge/observe) 8 festivals throughout the year: Yule (Winter Solstice), Imbolc, Eostara (Spring Equinox), Beltane, Summer Solstice, Lammas, Mabon (Autumn Equinox) and Hallowe'en/Samhain
9. I was a vegetarian for about 9 years
10. I still don't eat much meat... and I think it best if it is local, free range or wild
11. I am one of those people who dislikes cilantro (I know, but I can't help it, it's in my genes)
12. I have lived in 12 different Canadian cities/towns
13. I love the rain, and I miss living in rainy south-western BC
14. I love biology (especially zoology) and sometimes wonder why I didn't just study that
15. When she invited me to, I almost moved to Borneo to study Orangutans with Biruté Galdikas... maybe I will still do that one day
16. I have ridden on a camel, more than one elephant and several horses
17. I have touched (and fed) a dolphin
18. I love farmer's markets
19. I love to get gooey cheese, home-made red pepper jelly and fresh bread at farmer's markets
20. Sweet, firm red apples are my favorite (royal gala) but I like the tart green ones too
21. Raspberries are my favorite fruit
22. Fruit in general seems like a kind of miraculous gift to me when I think about it
23. I am open to trying almost any kind of food at least once
24. I have moved 24 times in my life (that I can remember), the first 5 times were with my family but the rest have been since I moved out
25. I have never been to the maritime provinces but I would love to go
26. Same goes for northern Canada
27. When I was little, I wanted to be an astronaut
28. I still kind of do
29. The first food I remember really liking is black olives
30. I've been to Morocco but just for a day
31. I have one tattoo, on the back of my neck
32. Lip Balm. Not sure why, but I am obsessed
33. I love all things coconut
34. In fact I adore lots of nutty things, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, walnuts, pinenuts, and even peanuts
35. Nut butters are great too... smooth or crunchy but all natural, no icing sugar
36. Ok, sometimes the gross icing-sugar peanut butter is good too (but just as a treat)
37. I hate baby-talk
38. I also dislike msn-isms like: how r u or cu l8r
39. I don't mind abbreviations like lol or brb though
40. I procrastinate a lot (um... yes that is what I am doing right now actually)
41. I am a bit of a geek (see next)
42. I know what 42 means
43. I have a tendency towards perfectionism (maybe related to the procrastination thing?)
44. I am right-handed but always wished I was a lefty (I always want to be what is "different")
45. I cry easily and often
46. This can be frustrating, especially if I am in a situation where I would dearly like to remain composed
47. I have started to say "frak" in place of other swear words
48. I have a crush on Jeanette Winterson
49. Cloves are my favorite spice (for smell) and I think if I ever have a daughter I would like to call her Clove
50. I have been present for the birth of more than 50 human beings
51. I have never been present for the death of a human being
52. I like that when people find out I'm from BC they assume I am a granola person
53. Actually, I like to think that Adrien and I are a bit like Dharma & Greg
54. I think I am pretty evenly spilt right brain and left brain... I love both arts/creativity and logic/science
55. I would like to become a better gardner (or be a gardner at all)
56. I love the smell of sawdust, it reminds me of my grandpa
57. I like the word "steampunk"
58. I am hard on myself, but not all the time
59. I dream big, and am often disappointed that my grand plans don't work out
60. However, I still find that I am frequently really enchanted with the small, everyday twists and quirks of life
61. I am a good mediator/peace-maker (for others)
62. I can be stubborn, argumentative and very defensive when I feel vulnerable (which is a lot)
63. I get terrible pangs of jealousy (often)
64. I am a good listener
65. I sometimes find that the opinions I argue for (or against) in the fiercest way are the ones I understand the least
66. I used to be a barista and I sometimes miss making foamy cappuccinos with those lovely, shiny steamy machines
67. I can play the flute, the trumpet and the euphonium (although it has been years since I touched any of them)
68. I am a pretty good cook and a decent baker
69. I wish I had a bigger place so I could have people over and cook for them more often
70. Pot luck dinners rock
71. I love getting & sending letters in the mail (thank you Alissa!)
72. I speak English (obviously), French and a miniscule smattering of Spanish
73. I once tried to teach myself Russian (Zdravstvuite, menia zovut Christine!) and would love to learn a zillion languages
74. I really like hands, they are usually one of the first things I notice about people (not a big fan of long or painted nails although painted toes are cute)
75. Adrien has great hands : )
76. I am mostly English, but also French and Dutch (and Canadian and American)
77. Perhaps that is why I have a fondness for all things British... especially British TV (Doctor Who, River Cottage, The Good Life, Vicar of Dibley)
78. I would love to spend some time living in the UK
79. I would love to spend some time traveling, and/or living just about anywhere on the planet
80. I enjoy a witty, sarcastic sense of humour
81. I can be a brat
82. I am a bit of a sugar-aholic and I would like to do something about it... but I am also kind of ok with it : )
83. Surprisingly though, I am not as big a fan of ice cream as one might think
84. I have a little obsessive compulsive side that I don't think many people know about
85. I used to love math, but now find it a little mind-boggling... I wonder what happened there
86. I have only one serious regret, and I have already been forgiven for it
87. I want to believe in magical things (and I sort of do) but my skeptical side often steps in to warn me not to be gullible or silly
88. I am an athiest
89. I am also pagan; kind of witchy; interested in religion/spirituality, especially Shintoism, Taoism, Buddhism and Hinduism; in awe of Life, The Universe And Everything (see 42); open, curious, confused, and certain only that no has all the answers yet
90. I read a lot of children's/young adult literature (His Dark Materials is one of my favorites)
91. I read a lot of everything
92. I am (trying to... in the process of) writing a novel. Well a series of 4 actually. It is slow going, but really enjoyable.
93. Cigarette smoke makes me feel nauseous, cranky and gives me a terrible headache
94. Pipes and some cigars though smell kind of nice
95. I sometimes have great difficulty remembering my exact age
96. Even though I now think that it is an evil, evil empire, I have fond memories of eating at McDonald's as a kid (I always had the filet-o-fish and a strawberry or vanilla milkshake)
97. I will always save big bug-creatures (spiders, centipedes, beetles) but I kill itsy-bitsy ones like fruit flies and mosquitoes
98. I don't like it when people call me "shy" even though I sometimes am
99. I am thinking of becoming a librarian
100. My favorite colour is still Purple

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful list. I'm amazed at how many traits we share. If you ever get around to #25, give me a call and we can get together for a soy cap :)

    ReplyDelete