Friday, December 21, 2007

Shortest day of the year

I think that Yule is officially the 22nd this year (according to wikipedia) but I am thinking Yule-ish thoughts today too.

Yule, is when the dark half of the year relinquishes to the light half. Starting the next morning at sunrise, the sun climbs just a little higher and stays a little longer in the sky each day. Known as Solstice Night, or the longest night of the year, much celebration was to be had as the ancestors awaited the rebirth of the Oak King, the Sun King, the Giver of Life that warmed the frozen Earth and made her to bear forth from seeds protected through the fall and winter in her womb. Bonfires were lit in the fields, and crops and trees were "wassailed" with toasts of spiced cider.
-
Yule Lore

Photos: Red candles with snowy trees - Tom Morrison; Christmas punch by the fire - Helene Toresdotter both from Getty Images.
PS
About yesterdays (100 things) post... I have seen those kinds of lists on other people's sites and I think they are really fun to read. However, most people seem to have them as lists on the side you can link to. I couldn't figure out how to do that so I just posted it as a regular post and now it is SO LONG it takes up the whole page. lol. If anyone knows how to make it not a regular post I would appreciate the tutorial!! : )

2 comments:

  1. I too wrote a 100 things post awhile back then I linked to that post in my sidebar. Does that make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. me, too! and it is also in my sidebar, yes they are fun.
    your mondo beyondo post is a great read, too! thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete